2017 here we come!
Posted on 24 January 2017
Emily and I are so excited to see year 10 in our business. We feel like young girls still living a day dream with all the giddiness of the new and exciting things to come. We are simply 2 mamas who had a big dream to do our own thing, pave our own way, and take a chance on something beautiful happening. We have worked tirelessly over the years to etch out our little corner in the world. Long hours, hard work, several miss steps, and tons of grace later we have come out on the other side of a decade of blood, sweat, and tears. A decade of love and laughter, friendships, two failed attempts at other small businesses, two baby girls from China, one wedding, 2 graduations, 4 driving teenagers, two middle school girls, and husbands who have held us up all the way through. If we could give you one single piece of advice about stepping out on faith it would be just that, faith. Without a foundation in our faith these two tired mamas wouldn’t have made it past year one. When we choose faith, family, and friendships first we are choosing to say we don’t have all the answers but we know who does. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being on this long and curvy road of life with us. For supporting us as women, for taking part in building your community by supporting small business, and for allowing us to do life alongside you. We are forever thankful for this beautiful tribe of ours. We plan to celebrate all year long so hang on for the next adventure.
“Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work. If one falls down his friend can help him up.” -Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
DID YOU KNOW? A little about our story.
- Emily and I have been friends for almost 15 years. We met at a MOPS, Mothers of Preschoolers, group when our kids where ranging from age 1-9
- We are honored to be two of the founders Lilybugs, a non-profit consignment event, that gives back to our community. This is where we worked side by side and learned so much about each other and our strengths in business.
- We started our business in my home with a house full of clothes from friends and family.
- From the inception of Between Friends to our opening day it was less than 4 months!
- Between Friends was our starting point in business. At that time we launched our little shop on Main Street at its current location.
- When Emily and I started in business we only had half our store space! After only 3 short months we busted through a wall to take the second store front and expand our consignment business.
- Two years later we expanded our store into children’s consignment followed by a teens department.
- In 2010 we added prom wear and tuxedo rental to our little shop.
- In 2012 we opened a second store front on Main Street, Urban Exchange. This business was geared solely to the teen market.
- In the summer of 2014 because we were stretched too thin in our personal lives we closed Urban Exchange to re-focus solely on women’s consignment.
- The summer of 2015 we renamed our business to em+me, aka Emily and Melissa and launched our now women’s boutique. This had been a process starting in 2012 when we started to carry a line of new women’s and young contemporary apparel and accessories.
- With the launch of em+me we began the process of eliminating consigned items and hosted our last in-store consignment event in winter 2016.
- February 2016 we launched our VIP page which gave as a unique tool to help connect our customers to us on a regular basis.
- August 2016, we took a chance on expanding into a small satellite boutique that closed just 4 short months later.
- NOW in January 2017 we are trying our hand at consignment again! With our consignment back ground, our passion for re-use and re-cycle, and knowing the importance of supporting our community we will launch our first consignment pop-up! We hope by choosing a short event time and using a secondary location for this event it will give us the opportunity to host these events for years to come.
STAY TUNED for more fun!